A Christmas Carol Challenge

My favorite story of all time is Charles Dickens’ 1843 A CHRISTMAS CAROL. I hear some of you groaning. But hear me out. Have you read the book? While there is sentiment, there is also a brutal portrayal of the times. The themes of selfishness and redemption transcend generations. Dickens balances light and dark beautifully, which helps make the payoff so great.

Because of some overly sentimental versions the story is often dismissed. That is a mistake. Dickens condemns the London of Ebenezer Scrooge as he tells the story of redemption. Some of these scenes are difficult to watch (or read), and they are often cut. I am thinking specifically of the scene that Marley shows Scrooge of the ghosts who have lost the power for good, and are condemned to walk the earth powerless to help. Or the two children (Ignorance and Want) that the Ghost of Christmas Present has under his robe. Or Old Joe…

Knowing that I love this story (and I do) I have set up my own December Challenge. To write about a different version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL every day. Think that is impossible? I have a dozen DVDs sitting here right now that give me a good head start on the project.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the daily offerings. The Christmas Carol Challenge 2010 begins tomorrow–see you then!

Advertisements

7 Comments Add yours

1. Dawn says:

This is a great challenge!
    So many versions of this story are wonderful and terrifying. I prefer the terrifying versions myself.
    The 1984George C. Scott movie is one of my favorites. His transformation is perfect! Also, the Jacob Marley is terrifying! I mean blood curdling! I’m also a fan of the 1938 version of a Christmas Carol. Again because of that first visit by Marley. There’s also, An American Christmas Carol with Henry Winkler, Dorian Harewood, and Michael Wincott, that holds a nostalgic place in my heart. I seem to think it had a pretty creepy final specter that would convince me to change my ways!
    Long story longer, this is a great challenge and I can’t wait to read about it!
    dms

1. jahennrikus says:

Thanks Dawn! I love the George C Scott version as well. I remember seeing the 1938 version, but have to see it again this month to refresh. And I love the Henry Winkler version. So much to talk about–glad you are on board!

2. molly zervoulis says:

This is such a great idea! I’ve seen several different versions of “A Christmas Carol” and have only truly enjoyed ONE! I can’t wait to hear your responses about each one, good luck!
    -MZ

1. jahennrikus says:

Molly, can’t wait to hear which one you liked! I wonder if it is tomorrow’s version…hopefully you’ll find a few more to try out!

3. Sara Glidden says:

My favorite is Alistair Sim 1951, but I also have a place in my heart for Mr. Magoo.

1. jahennrikus says:

Both of these will be covered. And both of these, ironically, are favorites of my mother. Though I suspect Mr. Magoo wins out for her.

What do you think? Let me know?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s